Thursday, September 1, 2011

Road Trip vs. Road Race

The plan was... we'd make this trip in a leisurely fashion, cruise down to Tucson, hang out at my mother's house. Wander up to Sedona, relax and unwind. Meander over to Santa Fe, take in the art galleries. Do a margarita tasting. You know... enjoy ourselves.

I had my heart set on seeing the meteor crater. I really, really wanted to see the meteor crater. 500 feet deep, 2 miles across. In case you're wondering.

I also wanted to stop in Oklahoma City and see the memorial there, and other things that are a part of our history -- the Presidential Library in Little Rock, Graceland, Dollywood, the Biltmore Estate, the list goes on.

But nooo...
When we got to Santa Fe the plan changed. The husband started getting frantic phone calls from work and all the sudden it became imperative that we reach the east coast ASAP. With way more emphasis on the S than the P. I was afraid that would happen. It became business as usual... phone calls, emails, conferences. Only now he's doing it at 70 mph in the car. With a captive audience. At his elbow. One who is experiencing some extreme discontent, I get pretty attached to my plans.

However,
I'm pretty attached to those paychecks too. So if the man says "hot foot it to Raleigh," so be it.

Day 1 of the new reality finds us pulling off I-40 somewhere in Oklahoma for lunch.

Not a lot of choice, the least objectionable was Pizza Hut. This one was being run by a middle aged woman (MAW) and what appeared to be her 2 daughters. Poor MAW was not getting a lot of cooperation. 5 times she pulled a pizza out of the oven and called for delivery and 5 times her bitter waitresses completely ignored her. So 5 times she delivered it herself without asking again. They were a hard and hateful pair. I couldn't help but wonder... are they her daughters? Are they simply working off their car insurance payments? Or are they on some kind of work/release program? Does MAW have a taser in that apron? I found myself surreptitiously checking their ankles for monitor bracelets, but it was impossible to tell. And God help me if one of them caught me checking on her.

The one that waited on us had on staggeringly green eye shadow. And lots of it. Combined with the deep orange red hair piled on her head that matched her fellow inmate's, the overall effect was decidedly reptilian. Reptile Girl glared at us. We gave her our order. Pizza, 2 drinks. I wasn't going anywhere near that salad bar. Not without a haz mat suit. Reptile Girl doubled down on her glare. "ThazzzZIT?!?"

Uh oh. I have no clue what she said. I looked at Richard. He says, in perfect British King's English... "the young lady would like to know if we need anything else."

Uh no. But here's what we don't need... we don't need any trouble. Just a pizza, give us our pizza and we'll go quietly.

Promise.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails