I love lattes. I love lattes in an unhealthy, obsessive manner. The occasional one is no longer enough. I need a steady, uninterrupted supply. I need... my very own latte equipment.
I have owned two Tassimo machines, not gourmet, but good enough. They both blew up precisely when the warranty expired. I'm a little disenchanted with Tassimo.
So I'm on the hunt. Shortly before Christmas we had a nice leisurely lunch with wine. Strolling around afterwards we found ourselves in front of a holiday expresso display. We started out at the low end, the little automatic one cup makers. A Tassimo replacement. Then Expresso Expert moved us up to the more sophisticated ones that require effort; measuring, tamping, pouring, monitoring, etc. I told EE that didn't work for me. I'm an instant gratification kind of girl. I want it, and I want it right this second. Screw ritual, I have profound limitations in the morning that must attended to.
That clever EE never missed a beat, it was seamless, "Well then, what you need is the fully automatic [cue trumpets...] GRAND DAMA." We segued down the counter a little bit and just like that, I fell in love with a machine. It's the sleek, racy, coffee version of a Ferrari. The touch of a button will grind my beans (7 different settings), produce my expresso (5 strength settings) and steam my milk (4 cup sizes). In about 40 seconds there's a latte in my hand. Yes! Yes! I DO need a Grand Dama! I SO need a Grand Dama!
Hallelujah! Hallelujah!
Seriously, it was a Sleeping Beauty moment complete with the little singing birds. I was shaking I was so happy. Well that, and the effect of the 6 sample lattes.
All right then, Merry Christmas to me!
Price? $3,500
Oh.
Yoo-hoo! Santa? Where did Santa go?
Warranty? 90 days. Aah... Italian... the Ferrari of expresso machines. I can see my Grand Dama is going to be clocking a little shop time. The wine at lunch made the $3,500 seem surmountable, but not the 90 day warranty.
But all is not lost. I found a Swiss expresso machine with the same set of irresistible features. The Rolex of expresso machines! With a 2 year / or 6,000 cup warranty. Those Swiss - so precise. Their web site even includes Top Ten Reasons to Buy.
So I'm working right now on justifying it. Listen to this! It even makes tea with hot water at the touch of a button. Surely that will convince the husband that we must have one of these?


No comments:
Post a Comment