I'm weak when it comes to craft madness, I always think it looks like a lot more fun and is much easier than the laws of physics would dictate. Sensible people know this. I can't seem to learn it.
The plan was to just check out a few recipe ideas. But no, it morphed into the decorating Olympics. My Gemini Twin and I kept finding Pin after Pin of amazing, fun ideas...and there you have it... sucked into The Vortex of Cute from which there is NO ESCAPE.
The desire to create cute became the monkey on my back. I could not get him off.
When the Big Day came, it went well, everyone had fun, but I’m glad it’s over, never again. We were insane women trying to mix Mai Tais, serve drinks, sling hash, etc. It was just waaay too much work. Two friends and I spent one whole day just decorating.
Of course I had to create a fire-breathing Tiki God to guard the doorway. Otherwise it's not a Tiki Party, right? It fell down and had to be re-attached... twice. Totally escalating my pre-party panic. I finally lost my patience and NAILED it up. I swore my Gemini twin to secrecy. Hubbs never needs to know I took a hammer to the front door. We made plans to remove those nails before he ever found out. The look on her face when he returned post-party and announced he knew about the nails was priceless. Why he's checking the door-cam is beyond me, just who did he think I was inviting?
The Tiki bar — like my girlfriends wouldn’t be able to find the bar without adequate signage. However, pretty darn cute. Everyone had her photo taken at the Tiki Bar.
Note the orange napkins folded to look like lotus blossoms. Totally cute, but I really don’t advise it. Unless you have live-in help you don't mind tormenting, then maybe.
Note also little drink umbrellas, again… cute, BUT requires a cherry and a pineapple spear to anchor it.
I rest my case… The Vortex of Cute is an endless loop of effort. You will never arrive at the cute saturation point. Just saying...
Fancy porch decorations, my friend Nancy spent a good 20 minutes inserting orange slices into those vases. Because I had a theme going on.
(Damn that Pinterest!)
I had fans for party favors, that was kind of fun. Sitting on the porch, sipping a Mai Tai, leisurely fanning yourself and talking trash. My kind of party. I might be turning southern after all.
Nancy showed up on party day with 12 totally unique, hand made, tropical print napkins. Because she too got sucked into The Vortex of Cute and completely embraced the theme! Now that's a supportive friend, one who is willing to participate in your temporary decorating insanity.
When the Big Day came, it went well, everyone had fun, but I’m glad it’s over, never again. We were insane women trying to mix Mai Tais, serve drinks, sling hash, etc. It was just waaay too much work. Two friends and I spent one whole day just decorating.
Of course I had to create a fire-breathing Tiki God to guard the doorway. Otherwise it's not a Tiki Party, right? It fell down and had to be re-attached... twice. Totally escalating my pre-party panic. I finally lost my patience and NAILED it up. I swore my Gemini twin to secrecy. Hubbs never needs to know I took a hammer to the front door. We made plans to remove those nails before he ever found out. The look on her face when he returned post-party and announced he knew about the nails was priceless. Why he's checking the door-cam is beyond me, just who did he think I was inviting?
The Tiki bar — like my girlfriends wouldn’t be able to find the bar without adequate signage. However, pretty darn cute. Everyone had her photo taken at the Tiki Bar.
Note the orange napkins folded to look like lotus blossoms. Totally cute, but I really don’t advise it. Unless you have live-in help you don't mind tormenting, then maybe.
Note also little drink umbrellas, again… cute, BUT requires a cherry and a pineapple spear to anchor it.
I rest my case… The Vortex of Cute is an endless loop of effort. You will never arrive at the cute saturation point. Just saying...
Fancy porch decorations, my friend Nancy spent a good 20 minutes inserting orange slices into those vases. Because I had a theme going on.
(Damn that Pinterest!)
I had fans for party favors, that was kind of fun. Sitting on the porch, sipping a Mai Tai, leisurely fanning yourself and talking trash. My kind of party. I might be turning southern after all.
Nancy showed up on party day with 12 totally unique, hand made, tropical print napkins. Because she too got sucked into The Vortex of Cute and completely embraced the theme! Now that's a supportive friend, one who is willing to participate in your temporary decorating insanity.
And... even better than the Mai Tais... the CAKE
Grand Marnier Chocolate Cake
adapted from Cooking Light –
there's no longer anything light about it now, sorry!
there's no longer anything light about it now, sorry!
Cake
Cooking spray
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cup + 2 tab. sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
Scant 2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup Grand Marnier or other orange-flavored liqueur
3 eggs
Glaze
1 cup sugar
4 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup Grand Marnier or other orange-flavored liqueur
1/4 cup water
Preheat oven to 350º
Coat Bundt pan with vegetable shortening, lightly dust with flour. (Even if it’s a non-stick pan)
Combine all the cake dry ingredients (flour through salt) in large mixing bowl and whisk together. (Lightly spoon flour into measuring cups and level with a knife.) Combine all the cake wet ingredients (buttermilk through eggs) into a separate bowl and whisk together. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and beat on low mixer speed until moist. Beat 3 minutes on medium speed. Pour batter into prepared Bundt pan.
Bake at 350º for 45 minutes (or a bit less) or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Set cake aside to cool for about 5-10 minutes while you make the glaze.
Combine all the glaze ingredients in a small saucepan and heat over medium/medium high heat until sugar melts and mixture begins to bubble. Low boil for 1 minute. Let glaze cool slightly. Pierce cake all over with fork or pick, loosen the cake in the pan, so it’s ready to come out, then pour glaze over cake while it’s still in the pan. Let it cool 10-15 minutes or until the pan is cool enough to handle and the glaze is completely absorbed, then remove from pan.
4 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup Grand Marnier or other orange-flavored liqueur
1/4 cup water
Preheat oven to 350º
Coat Bundt pan with vegetable shortening, lightly dust with flour. (Even if it’s a non-stick pan)
Combine all the cake dry ingredients (flour through salt) in large mixing bowl and whisk together. (Lightly spoon flour into measuring cups and level with a knife.) Combine all the cake wet ingredients (buttermilk through eggs) into a separate bowl and whisk together. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and beat on low mixer speed until moist. Beat 3 minutes on medium speed. Pour batter into prepared Bundt pan.
Bake at 350º for 45 minutes (or a bit less) or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Set cake aside to cool for about 5-10 minutes while you make the glaze.
Combine all the glaze ingredients in a small saucepan and heat over medium/medium high heat until sugar melts and mixture begins to bubble. Low boil for 1 minute. Let glaze cool slightly. Pierce cake all over with fork or pick, loosen the cake in the pan, so it’s ready to come out, then pour glaze over cake while it’s still in the pan. Let it cool 10-15 minutes or until the pan is cool enough to handle and the glaze is completely absorbed, then remove from pan.
Before serving, gussy it up with a light dusting of powdered sugar.
No frosting... that's MY nod to cooking light.
Serves 16
No frosting... that's MY nod to cooking light.
Serves 16
No comments:
Post a Comment