Monday, November 4, 2013

The PINTEREST Vortex

This project says it all - baking PLUS engineering...
Mini Gingerbread houses to perch on your holiday
coffee cup. Wouldn't you get hysterical if one of
your guests ATE one?? It demonstrates the madness
of this that within 1 minute of "pinning" the craziest
project ever, 14 people re-pinned it and made it their
own
Oh it looks innocent. but it's not - it's evil. Pinterest is the world's biggest time suck. And I'm not kidding. I got one little taste and now it's how I spend my days, fingers staggering across the keyboard from one Pinterest "board" to another. Eventually, I notice the room is dark. Glassy-eyed and dazed; I realize I've lost another 6 hours peering at "pins."

My mind is crammed, but my body is atrophying at an alarming rate.

Junkies love company
I blame my Gemini friend for getting me hooked. She kept telling me how interesting it was, how much fun it was, how entertaining it was, it's such a great resource. And that's all true. But what she failed to mention...  it's highly addictive. And I am a project-susceptible personality, easily influenced by cute.

I resisted as long as I could
But I never had a chance with 3 big holidays coming up, entrapment was certain. Pinterest is project crack. I couldn't stay away from all the incredible and awesome ideas. I got hooked on Halloween and now I'm completely enslaved to Thanksgiving and Christmas. One amazing idea after another -- Oh YES! I could do that! I could cook that! That's what my table settings should look like! That is the most darling centerpiece ever! My guests are going home with decorated and personalized left over containers!

Impractical and Impossible
Let me see... cut and assemble 15 separate pieces
x 8 guests...  Sure, why not?
I came of age being deceived by Martha Stewart, so you'd think I'd be able to recognize a project scam when I see one. Not surprisingly, many of the "pins" come from the Queen of Complicated herself. But noooo... only after losing 17 straight days, more than 2 weeks I couldn't account for, did I realize, "All of this is mostly not do-able. Have I lost my mind?"

The long road to recovery
So I've put myself on lock down. "No more Pinterest for you girl - you can't handle it." I must be strong. I'm worried my wizened and desiccated body will be found slumped over the keyboard, "One more, just one last pin." No one will get a Thanksgiving meal... let alone a darling turkey place card.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails