Someone told me once that joy shared is multiplied and sorrow shared is divided.
I totally agree with the first part, that's absolutely true, it's the very nature of joy.
Years ago I was at the christening of my friends' firstborn, a long awaited and much loved child with 2 special parents. It was the most perfect ceremony imaginable. Singing, dancing, sunlight, special celebratory vestments, an entire congregation of unreservedly happy people. The pastor and the baby were in the center of the vestibule. Holding the baby up in the air, a la Lion King, he turned in a circle and pronounced a special blessing for this child - from God, his parents, and everyone gathered to share their joy. It was a pure and holy moment.
And at that moment something happened. I saw lights. And movement. The atmosphere shimmered. I saw the manifestation of all that collective joy.
It's a wonderful memory - when I need a little boost, I think back to how that happened.
I'm not sure that sorrow shared is divided though.
I don't think you can divide sorrow. It's yours alone. You can't share it or give it away, as willing as your various loved ones might be to take some of it from you. What is true though, is that having their love and support means you can stand up to meet it. Propping each other up saves us from the terrible things that might otherwise crush us.

No comments:
Post a Comment