Friday, July 30, 2010

Coupon Convert

I despise coupons. They're the work of the devil.

When the husband was managing the household during a period of unemployment he got righteous and starting clipping coupons. And using them. And doing a very good job of it. "You're leaving money on the table," he proclaimed. Loudly.

But then, he lives to manage things. He can't help it.

But, I keep seeing reports of people who buy an entire cartload of groceries for $11 and for one little moment I find myself intrigued by the challenge. But no, I know it's not for me. I tried it and it ruined the quality of my life.

All those flimsy little pieces of paper for stuff I don't even like flying around everywhere and getting outdated during the drive from my house to the store. Digging them out of my purse, peeling them off my body, scraping them out of the cart, off the produce and into the cashier's hand while the people behind me sigh loudly. What a nightmare. Grocery shopping took twice as long and was ten times more stressful. I'll never be that organized. And besides, clipping coupons ate into my sudoku puzzle solving time.

I tried it, it just didn't work for me.

However. There is an exception. Bed, Bath & Beyond. Those 20% off coupons? Pure genius.

First of all they're large. Yes!
And printed on card stock. Yes!
No fumbling, impossible to lose, easy to file. Yes! Yes! YES!
And a steady stream of them delivered to my mailbox - no searching. Ooooh YES!

And the unbelievable leniency... they completely ignore that date printed on them and they let you use one per item. When I found that out I actually got lightheaded.

One day I showed up with 12 coupons. I snapped them on the counter like a Vegas card dealer and bought 4 new sets of towels. Every single one at 20% off! And yesterday I absconded with an olive oil mister and a very nice fuchsia laptop fan.

Now that's righteous.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails