
Yeah. Right. Like Hades is a dry heat.
I'm still in Tucson, and now that my mother is doing much better, I can afford to sit up and take a look around. And it is HOT. Hot. Hot. Hot!
Liquifying, beg for mercy hot. I don't know how people here stand it. It's a full time job staying hydrated. I don't make a move without a water bottle. I used to think living in precarious places like the barrier islands, on a fault line, an unstable hillside, etc. was foolish. But I changed my mind, the dessert in summer is the most foolhardy of all.
And here's the other thing I don't understand and I'm assuming this is related to the heat.
This place is swarming with retirees. I wouldn't wonder they are the majority population here. And I've noticed that they are cranky. Very, very cranky. Unreasonably so. They grumble and mutter about the price as they pay for what they've selected. They think nothing of running over your foot with their shopping cart without so much as a backward glance or an apology. They step right to the front of the line loudly announcing their particular need. They've never met a complaint that didn't need expressing to one and all. And if they have to wait so much as 10 seconds more than they think they should.... look out!
I haven't engaged with these misbehaving geriatrics. For one thing, dehydration has made me listless. And for another, they're pretty fierce. I don't think I could win.
So what's with these lousy attitudes? I can't wait to retire – no more alarm clock, no more work obligations, footloose and fancy free – it makes me giddy just thinking about it. What's to be cranky about?
In my mind, it's time to enjoy yourself. But maybe in a cooler climate.
No comments:
Post a Comment