Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Beijing #3 – Criticizing the Cuisine

We have French neighbors across the hall. They have been here for 2 months. When Richard asked them how they manage cooking here, they laughed and referred us to www.beijinggoodies.com for delivered meals. What were we thinking? People from the land of The-World's-Best-Groceries-Bar-None aren't going to bother mixing it up at the local Who-Can-Tell-WHAT-The-Heck-It-Is.

But... my practical little Midwestern heart won’t let me just discard those hard-won groceries from the Chinese market. So last night I attempted to make a meal with some of them. It was…  

Perfectly. Dreadful. 

Without a doubt, the worst meal of our entire marriage. Chicken & rice without any seasoning – hideously bland, like eating wet Kleenex.

Richard was completely nonplussed. I’ve never served him a truly terrible meal. He acted liked he just found out I had a felony record. 

For killing a previous husband. 

It became a moral issue, I got a little righteous about it, I told him we’re eating for sustenance now – not pleasure. I also told him I can't cope with that Chinese market again, we're going out to eat from now on. 

He readily agreed

No surprise there.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails