Friday, July 25, 2008

oooh nooo

I think I've mentioned, I have a little problem with rules I think are stupid.

The American Community Survey.
Sounds harmless, friendly even. Not so.
I got one about 5 weeks ago. 28 pages of unbelievably intrusive questions - I couldn't believe it. All kinds of officia attached to it, letters, pamphlets, return envelopes, government census bureau web sites. I thought it must be an elaborate marketing research scam, this can't possibly be valid – I tossed it.

Then I got a stern letter - I'm required by law to fill out all 28 pages and send it in promptly. There are serious consequences if I don't. Just SOME of the information my government says I must send them under penalty of law:

My name
My birthdate
My phone number
My ethnicity
The year my house was built
The number of rooms it has
Does it have a flush toilet?
Does it have a refrigerator?
How do I heat it?
Separate questions on all my utilities and what I pay for them
Am I a food stamp user?
How much do I think my house is worth?
What's my mortgage payment?
How about my property taxes?
And insurance?
Oh, and hey! DO you have a 2nd mortgage? Inquiring minds want to know.
Are you a citizen?
What's your precise level of education? (They didn't ask about grades though, maybe an oversight)
What about my health insurance?
Do I have difficulty concentrating or making decisions?
My marital status – including how many times I've been married (I BEG your pardon??)
Am I disabled?
My employer and their complete address
What time do you leave for work in the morning?
Did you kiss your husband goodbye (I made that up, but they may as well have asked)
Did I miss any work last week? For any reason?
What kind of work I do
The income questions are beyond belief...

Here's Question 46c in its entirety:
"Interest, dividends, net rental income, royalty income, or income from estates and trusts. Report even small amounts credited to an account."

All right then.

About a week ago I got a second complete set of survey documents with another stern warning. Maybe I should check on this thing? I was shocked – it's official. I also discovered I'm probably in for a distressing couple months. Apparently there's a 90-day plan attached to each survey. First the mailings, then phone calls, then personal visits designed to wrench your information out of you. Several people reported really belligerent Census Bureau visits, CB reps sitting outside their house all day, trying to enter their homes without permission, verbal intimidation, threats about non-compliance, fines, etc. And of COURSE, accusations of being unpatriotic.

I'm reading this thinking "just a minute... WHAT country am I living in?" It's surreal. The blog-o-sphere is full of outrage, makes for some interesting reading. This blog is particularly rational and informative. I've never been accused of being too rational, so I'm not sure how reasonable I'm going to be when the government zealots elbow aside the religious zealots to show up at my door and start making demands.

But I do know what I'm going to say. "No. Go away. Don't come back. Shoo!"

Oh yes, and this part is for my mother who tends to worry about such things. It seems the Census Bureau is still in the intimidation stage, the punitive stage hasn't started. Yet. So don't worry Mom, you didn't raise 4 children that drove you to distraction resisting authority every step of the way for nothing.

I need to go now and write my Congressperson who is doing a crummy job protecting my interests.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails