Sunday, August 17, 2008

My Gift from the Universe


Every now and then the Universe gives you a gift. Sometimes it's subtle though, you can miss it if you're not paying attention. The  Universe sent me a notice a couple weeks ago – it arrived in the mail. 

I got a surprise package from my daughter-in-law; with a clever gift and a nice note, "I saw this and thought of you..." It surprises me how much alike we are. We're an ocean apart, so we rarely get to shop together, but we like the same things. When she sent me the 6-hour BBC version of Pride & Prejudice, I knew she had my number.

I never had a sister, and I always longed for one. I never had a daughter either and I used to fantasize about how lovely that would be. It was always the romantic version of course with no conflicts or squabbles, just a loving counterpart that appreciated the same things I did. 

Neither of those things materialized, instead, I have been gifted with an exceptionally darling daughter-in-law. I find myself blessed with all the things that are gratifying about female relationships. Chatty updates on the grand daughters, detailed thanks and appreciation for every little thing we do, birthdays and holidays remembered with creative gifts chosen with obvious care. With all the things she's responsible for, I'm astounded that she finds the time for these thoughtful gestures. 

The absolute best are the sweet and sentimental notes and cards. I tuck them into my cookbooks. That way I know I'll come across them regularly and I can stop and enjoy them all over again.

She's a very loving and generous personality. I think the wife/mother almost always embodies the spirit of the family — and when you step into their home you can feel it immediately, it's a joyful place. I give her much of the credit for creating it. During one of our conversations she described being with her daughters, "I just cherish every moment with them, each one is precious."  I find that so touching – imagine growing up hearing those words. 

I love my daughter-in-law. She's a happiness expert. And a gift to me from the Universe.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails